Snake plants, also called mother-in-law’s tongue or Saint George’s sword, are common houseplants known for their upright, rigid leaves with striking patterns. While they help clean indoor air, all parts of these plants contain saponins and other toxins. If a dog chews or eats a snake plant, these compounds can cause unpleasant gastrointestinal issues. So what should you do if your dog manages to ingest part of this popular yet poisonous plant?

Understanding Snake Plant Toxicity

Before outlining the response needed when dogs eat snake plants, it helps to understand what exactly makes these plants dangerous:

  • Toxic compounds – Snake plants contain steroidal saponins that produce gastrointestinal irritation when eaten. These are natural defense chemicals meant to deter herbivores.
  • Tissue injury – The stiff, sharp-edged leaves can scrape and scratch tissues in a dog’s mouth and intestinal tract. This leads to irritation on top of the chemical effects.
  • Chewing releases more toxins – A dog really gnawing into the rigid leaves will manage to ingest far higher amounts of the irritants compared to just quick licking or nibbling.

So according to the amount and type of plant tissue consumed, dogs may show varying degrees of adverse reaction. But even small ingestions warrant close observation and action.

Snake Plant

Common Symptoms of Snake Plant Poisoning in Dogs

Within the first 12 hours after eating part of a snake plant, dogs often exhibit these signs of toxicity:

Excessive drooling

Pawing at the mouth


Diarrhea (sometimes bloody)

Abdominal pain

Decreased appetite


More severe poisoning also causes muscle tremors or even seizures along with the gastrointestinal effects. Any indications of distress following exposure to snake plants requires quick response.

What to Do Immediately If Your Dog Eats a Snake Plant

First realize that most cases of dogs sampling snake plants result only in mild stomach upset. But to play it safe, especially if you don’t witness the ingestion, follow these important first aid steps:

Remove remaining plant parts from the dog’s environment to avoid additional gnawing.

Check inside the dog’s mouth for any caught pieces irritating tissues and carefully remove them.

Give your dog a small meal which may help dilute and pass the toxins.

Let your veterinarian know that your dog ate part of a snake plant. Follow their advice for managing symptoms at home or coming in if concerning signs develop.

Snake Plant

Getting Veterinary Insights and Care

Consulting directly with your vet provides key insights on your individual dog’s status following snake plant ingestion:

They can analyze any symptoms present and judge relative concern and needs.

Based on specifics like the dog’s size/age and amount consumed, they suggest home care or possible closer medical support.

Vets determine if induced vomiting, activated charcoal, or other decontamination is recommended.

Caring for Your Dog After Snake Plant Ingestion

Once past the initial ingestion crisis, your dog still needs careful monitoring at home along with possible supportive treatments from the vet such as:

  • Oversee food and water intake – Withhold food initially but provide small amounts of water. Watch for worsening nausea and vomiting.
  • Monitor elimination patterns – Note if diarrhea continues and for signs of dehydration or bloody stools.
  • Address gastrointestinal symptoms – Vets often prescribe medications to control nausea, vomiting, cramping, and diarrhea along with at-home probiotics.
  • Limit exercise and stimulation during recovery – This gives your dog’s body a chance to heal any irritated tissues and restore normal functions.
  • Follow up as directed – Vet examinations and lab tests after the incident confirm all toxin clearance and system recovery.


While extremely unpleasant for dogs, snake plant toxicity rarely becomes fatal with proper first aid and veterinary follow-up care. Still, preventing access avoids this whole ordeal.

By p ly

Leave a Reply